POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Strange CPU Usage in photon pass : Strange CPU Usage in photon pass Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  Strange CPU Usage in photon pass
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 11 Mar 2001 15:50:00
Message: <3aabe4f8$1@news.povray.org>
I'm using MegaPOV 0.4a under Windows 2000.  I just noticed that when doing
the photon mapping pass, the CPU utilization dropped steadilly from the
initial 100% down to as low as 9% before it finished.  The memory usage was
moderate, and also varied a great deal between 2 and 10 MB, so it wasn't
swapping.  HandleEx shows that there were no interesting files open, so
waiting on I/O would not account for it.

WHY would the system be idle so much when MegaPOV is running?  I would
expect it to use 100% CPU if nothing else needed attention.

--John